Anyone who’s lived in New England for any amount of time knows March doesn’t have a lot to recommend it. Winter’s getting old, real old. Spring is nowhere close, even if you live in the relatively tropic climes of Connecticut or Massachusetts’ South Shore.
St. Patrick’s Day? Nah. Amateur night. March Madness? Too much basketball.
That’s why it’s the perfect month for the New England chapter of Sisters in Crime Weekend Read.
Each of the six New England states hosts an event. This year it’s the weekend of March 23-24. The premise is simple — members, both published and unpublished, read for about five minutes from a work in progress or new work. There’s no critiqueing, no voting or judging. It’s a feel good event. And that’s feel good for everyone, both the readers and the listeners.
At last year’s Maine event, many of those who attended brought their spouse or a a friend. We sat in a circle and not only read, but also talked about writing, our writing process, how great Maine is and all sorts of other stuff.
No one is under an obligation to read. Full disclosure: I really didn’t want to read last year, but I felt that since I was the host, I needed to do it or I had no right to expect anyone else to. Those of you who write know how connected we are to our work and how hard it is to put it out there in front of others. But why write if you don’t want others to enjoy it?
I’m glad I read last year, and I’m glad the others did, too.
Check out the Sisters in Crime website for details in your state. It’s not only for members, so be sure to tell your friends and family. It’s the best thing March has going for it.
- Congrats to @JulieHennrikus on another new series in the works. wickedcozyauthors.com/2017/02/16/j-a… 4 days ago
- Information on this year's Writer's Police Academy, including a discount for first time SinC attendees. sistersincrime.org/?page=WPA2017 4 days ago
- RT @SINCnational: Members, we are compiling our Authors Coalition surveys, so please fill one out! sistersincrime.org/?page=ACsurvey https://t.co/l7C… 4 days ago
- Sent in your reservation for the 30th anniversary gala workshop and luncheon with author Nancy Martin? sincne.org/rsvp-sisters-c… #SinC30 6 days ago
- @jeseymour Is there a link to a webpage that we could send out for the panel? 1 week ago
- RT @SINCnational: Our response to @nytimes announcement about dropping the mass-market and e-book bestseller lists. Please reconsider! http… 1 week ago
- RT @LucyBurdette: Letter to the New York Times: Sisters in Crime say dropping mass market and ebooks damage writers' careers @SinC https://… 1 week ago
CategoriesAwards Barbara Ross Beth Kanell Blog Summary Book promotion Carlotta Carlyle Conferences Craft Crime Bake Dogs Edith Maxwell Editing Em Moore Event Recap G.M. Malliet Genre Guppies Hallie Ephron Hank Phillippi Ryan Interview J.P. Choquette Judy Copek Kate Flora Lea Wait Libraries Linda Barnes Lisa Haselton Marketing Maureen Milliken Member News Members Michele Dorsey Mo Walsh Nancy Gardner Not Quite Twenty Questions Of Interest Opinion Pat Remick Pauline Alldred Ray Anderson Readers Rosemary Harris SinCNE Social Media Speakers' Bureau Uncategorized Upcoming Events Writers Writing Writing challenges and contests Writing lessons Writing resources Young Adult