In September, I wrote about how I realized my “finished” manuscript, even though I was sure many times it was done, needed a quick revision. I had been reluctant. I’d been working on the book for a couple years, thought it was finished a couple times, and it took some soul-searching to go back in.
Boy am I glad I did.
There was nothing quick about the revision at all. I made some significant plot changes, changed the location of my fictional town, added back in some important voice and character things that I felt had been washed out in earlier passes through it.
It was a lot of work. A lot lot lot lot lot of work.
And I enjoyed every minute of it.
But that’s not the best part. The best part is that now I feel it’s the book it was meant to be all along. I realized I was actually happy no agent had picked me up, because the book wasn’t fully grown yet. Now I really believe it is.
I’ve never minded revision. Lord knows I’ve done enough of them on this manuscript. This last time, I feared I’d be so bored with the book by now that I’d do a half-assed job and end up screwing things up. I was thrilled to find I was so excited about my changes and fixes that working on it was just as addictive as when I first started writing it.
I’m looking forward to getting back to the second book in the series, which I’d put on hold months ago while I fiddled with this first one. Now I truly know the fist one is done.
I made the point in September that we may not be finished with a manuscript when we think we are and not to be afraid of revision. I realized two months later how really true that was, and how rewarding taking that final trip through the manuscript can be.
- Message from the SinCNE President: https://t.co/idDRgc2HFn 2 weeks ago
- Message from the SinCNE President: facebook.com/212555300006/p… 2 weeks ago
- Another great resource from the sisters! twitter.com/SINCnational/s… 1 month ago
- @DalePhillips2 hosts a new writing group once a month at the Tewksbury library starting March 24. Take a look!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- Attention Sisters and Misters: Do you have a book coming out in February or March? Would you like to be featured… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- This thread is so important. Sisters in Crime is for everyone. #amwriting thanks to our current national President… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 months ago
- Did you miss the @SinCNE holiday party this past weekend? Live vicariously through @DalePhillips2 lovely write up! daletphillips.blogspot.com/2019/12/sister… 3 months ago
CategoriesAwards Barbara Ross Beth Kanell Blog Summary Book promotion Carlotta Carlyle Conferences Craft Crime Bake Dogs Edith Maxwell Editing Em Moore Event Recap G.M. Malliet Genre Guppies Hallie Ephron Hank Phillippi Ryan Interview J.P. Choquette Judy Copek Kate Flora Lea Wait Libraries Linda Barnes Lisa Haselton Marketing Maureen Milliken Member News Members Michele Dorsey Mo Walsh Nancy Gardner Not Quite Twenty Questions Of Interest Opinion Pat Remick Pauline Alldred Ray Anderson Readers Rosemary Harris SinCNE Social Media Speakers' Bureau Uncategorized Upcoming Events Writers Writing Writing challenges and contests Writing lessons Writing resources Young Adult