In September, I wrote about how I realized my “finished” manuscript, even though I was sure many times it was done, needed a quick revision. I had been reluctant. I’d been working on the book for a couple years, thought it was finished a couple times, and it took some soul-searching to go back in.
Boy am I glad I did.
There was nothing quick about the revision at all. I made some significant plot changes, changed the location of my fictional town, added back in some important voice and character things that I felt had been washed out in earlier passes through it.
It was a lot of work. A lot lot lot lot lot of work.
And I enjoyed every minute of it.
But that’s not the best part. The best part is that now I feel it’s the book it was meant to be all along. I realized I was actually happy no agent had picked me up, because the book wasn’t fully grown yet. Now I really believe it is.
I’ve never minded revision. Lord knows I’ve done enough of them on this manuscript. This last time, I feared I’d be so bored with the book by now that I’d do a half-assed job and end up screwing things up. I was thrilled to find I was so excited about my changes and fixes that working on it was just as addictive as when I first started writing it.
I’m looking forward to getting back to the second book in the series, which I’d put on hold months ago while I fiddled with this first one. Now I truly know the fist one is done.
I made the point in September that we may not be finished with a manuscript when we think we are and not to be afraid of revision. I realized two months later how really true that was, and how rewarding taking that final trip through the manuscript can be.
- RT @SINCnational: AS DARK AS MY FUR by @Clea_Simon is now featured at sistersincrime.org https://t.co/wO5KnyNBNN 19 hours ago
- RT @edithmaxwell: Cake at #SINC30 Plymouth MA Library party w/ past-prezzes @JulieHennrikus & @SheilaConnolly! @SinCNE @SINCnational #myste… 19 hours ago
- RT @edithmaxwell: My @midnightinkbook #Quaker #Midwife #Mystery stars in Poetry & Lit event today! #TheNoshery @amesbury @SinCNE @wickedcoz… 2 days ago
- Deadlines coming up for submissions to the two next @levelbestbooks anthologies. mailchi.mp/4edef55d996d/l… 3 days ago
- RT @ConnieHambley: @SinCNE @MeredithLibrary @jessiecrockett @SINCnational Terrific event with many book loving friends! Thank you @Meredith… 4 days ago
- RT @DalePhillips2: @WickedCozys @SinCNE Writeup of the Wicked Cozy Authors in Nashua last night! daletphillips.blogspot.com/2017/04/wicked… 4 days ago
- RT @Clea_Simon: Are you an unpublished mystery writer of color? Sisters in Crime is offering grants (brothers welcomed too)! #amwriting #di… 5 days ago
CategoriesAwards Barbara Ross Beth Kanell Blog Summary Book promotion Carlotta Carlyle Conferences Craft Crime Bake Dogs Edith Maxwell Editing Em Moore Event Recap G.M. Malliet Genre Guppies Hallie Ephron Hank Phillippi Ryan Interview J.P. Choquette Judy Copek Kate Flora Lea Wait Libraries Linda Barnes Lisa Haselton Marketing Maureen Milliken Member News Members Michele Dorsey Mo Walsh Nancy Gardner Not Quite Twenty Questions Of Interest Opinion Pat Remick Pauline Alldred Ray Anderson Readers Rosemary Harris SinCNE Social Media Speakers' Bureau Uncategorized Upcoming Events Writers Writing Writing challenges and contests Writing lessons Writing resources Young Adult