Those of you who are going to Crime Bake this weekend already know what it’s all about. So this is for those of you who have never been to it.
Five years ago, I’d been thinking about writing a mystery novel for a long time (like 35 years), but had stalled every time I tried. I didn’t know anyone who wrote them, didn’t know anyone who had any good advice. In fact, most of the advice I was hearing was “It’s impossible to get a book published.” Or a condescending “Oh yeah, everyone thinks they’re going to write a novel.” I’d checked out some books, particularly Stephen King’s excellent “On Writing.” But I needed more.
On a whim, I signed up for Crime Bake (this was before it filled up so fast). It changed my life.
Aside from all the great advice and seminars, I was surrounded by 200-plus people who either wrote mysteries, wanted to write mysteries or loved mysteries. All the sudden, I realized I wasn’t alone.
I frequently refer to it as my favorite weekend of the year. I’m not exaggerating. If you are about to attend your first Crime Bake, you are in for a great time. If you have never thought of going, give it a try next year. You won’t be sorry.
- Congrats to @JulieHennrikus on another new series in the works. wickedcozyauthors.com/2017/02/16/j-a… 6 days ago
- Information on this year's Writer's Police Academy, including a discount for first time SinC attendees. sistersincrime.org/?page=WPA2017 6 days ago
- RT @SINCnational: Members, we are compiling our Authors Coalition surveys, so please fill one out! sistersincrime.org/?page=ACsurvey https://t.co/l7C… 6 days ago
- Sent in your reservation for the 30th anniversary gala workshop and luncheon with author Nancy Martin? sincne.org/rsvp-sisters-c… #SinC30 1 week ago
- @jeseymour Is there a link to a webpage that we could send out for the panel? 1 week ago
- RT @SINCnational: Our response to @nytimes announcement about dropping the mass-market and e-book bestseller lists. Please reconsider! http… 2 weeks ago
- RT @LucyBurdette: Letter to the New York Times: Sisters in Crime say dropping mass market and ebooks damage writers' careers @SinC https://… 2 weeks ago
CategoriesAwards Barbara Ross Beth Kanell Blog Summary Book promotion Carlotta Carlyle Conferences Craft Crime Bake Dogs Edith Maxwell Editing Em Moore Event Recap G.M. Malliet Genre Guppies Hallie Ephron Hank Phillippi Ryan Interview J.P. Choquette Judy Copek Kate Flora Lea Wait Libraries Linda Barnes Lisa Haselton Marketing Maureen Milliken Member News Members Michele Dorsey Mo Walsh Nancy Gardner Not Quite Twenty Questions Of Interest Opinion Pat Remick Pauline Alldred Ray Anderson Readers Rosemary Harris SinCNE Social Media Speakers' Bureau Uncategorized Upcoming Events Writers Writing Writing challenges and contests Writing lessons Writing resources Young Adult