Those of you who are going to Crime Bake this weekend already know what it’s all about. So this is for those of you who have never been to it.
Five years ago, I’d been thinking about writing a mystery novel for a long time (like 35 years), but had stalled every time I tried. I didn’t know anyone who wrote them, didn’t know anyone who had any good advice. In fact, most of the advice I was hearing was “It’s impossible to get a book published.” Or a condescending “Oh yeah, everyone thinks they’re going to write a novel.” I’d checked out some books, particularly Stephen King’s excellent “On Writing.” But I needed more.
On a whim, I signed up for Crime Bake (this was before it filled up so fast). It changed my life.
Aside from all the great advice and seminars, I was surrounded by 200-plus people who either wrote mysteries, wanted to write mysteries or loved mysteries. All the sudden, I realized I wasn’t alone.
I frequently refer to it as my favorite weekend of the year. I’m not exaggerating. If you are about to attend your first Crime Bake, you are in for a great time. If you have never thought of going, give it a try next year. You won’t be sorry.
- Registration for Crimebake has opened and is selling fast. If you want to attend, sign up quickly. crimebake.org @SINCnational 2 days ago
- Congrats to @kateflora! LED ASTRAY and A GOOD MAN WITH A DOG are finalists for the Maine Literary Awards. mainewriters.org/programs/maine… 3 days ago
- The New England Independent Booksellers Association responds to a Boston Globe column. shelf-awareness.com/issue.html?iss… 5 days ago
- RT @gaylelynds: Loved the #readers & #librarians & fellow #authors @MMilliken47 & Janet Morgan! Thanks for the #book #memories! @SINCnation… 2 weeks ago
- RT @edithmaxwell: Malice Domestic Highlights wickedcozyauthors.com/2017/05/02/mal… @WickedCozys 2 weeks ago
- RT @Mainecrime: One for the Books Bruce Robert Coffin here, waxing nostalgic. The third annual Maine Crime Wave has passed into... https://… 2 weeks ago
- Our Facebook page has passed 1,000 likes! Are you one of them? facebook.com/sincne/ 3 weeks ago
CategoriesAwards Barbara Ross Beth Kanell Blog Summary Book promotion Carlotta Carlyle Conferences Craft Crime Bake Dogs Edith Maxwell Editing Em Moore Event Recap G.M. Malliet Genre Guppies Hallie Ephron Hank Phillippi Ryan Interview J.P. Choquette Judy Copek Kate Flora Lea Wait Libraries Linda Barnes Lisa Haselton Marketing Maureen Milliken Member News Members Michele Dorsey Mo Walsh Nancy Gardner Not Quite Twenty Questions Of Interest Opinion Pat Remick Pauline Alldred Ray Anderson Readers Rosemary Harris SinCNE Social Media Speakers' Bureau Uncategorized Upcoming Events Writers Writing Writing challenges and contests Writing lessons Writing resources Young Adult