It’s always fun to hear writers talk about writing. When I saw Gerry Boyle at Lithgow Library in Augusta, Maine, last week he said something that’s refreshing to hear: some people just shouldn’t be writing. In a world where writing is “easy” — or at least filling space with words is — it’s a reminder that it is still hard work. The craft of writing still deserves to be treated with respect and taken seriously. That said, he also said what most of us already know — if you love to write, need to write, then you have to write. I’m paraphrasing, but that was the message.
The same day Boyle spoke at Lithgow, the Boston Globe had a front page story about Dennis Lehane, who said pretty much the same thing. He said writing is a faucet he can’t turn off.
Those of us who are lucky enough to feel it know what they’re talking about. That compulsion to write is one of the greatest gifts we can be given.
But then, of course, we have to do something with it. As Boyle said, “You can’t not write just because you don’t feel like it. You have to do it every day.”
I got together for coffee with Gerry this week for an interview for my newspaper column. As anyone who attended his seminar at last year’s Crime Bake knows, he is an entertaining and interesting speaker, good writer and good guy. He definitely made writing the column easy this week.
To check out my column, go to http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/real-life-imitatesfiction_2012-10-31.html
- Tomorrow in Newburyport, MA, join @ConnieHambley as she launches her newest book - The Wake: When Truth Won't Die jabberwockybookshop.com/event/connie-h… 17 minutes ago
- This week's Facebook question is which social media sites do you use to promote your writing? Why do you use them? facebook.com/sincne/posts/1… 1 day ago
- News about Canongate's acquisition of Severn House. publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/in… 4 days ago
- We regret to let our members know that the workshop with Hallie Ephron scheduled for this weekend has had to be been canceled. 1 week ago
- If you could advise your younger self about writing, what would you say? Share with us on Facebook. facebook.com/sincne/posts/1… 1 week ago
- RT @HankPRyan: SAY NO MORE! Love to see you at @NevinsLibrary1 Weds at 6:30. I'll have books and scoop! @SINCnational @SinCNE https://t.co/… 1 week ago
- Happy launch day to Lisa Lieberman for her second Cara Walden historical noir, BURNING COLD. amazon.com/Burning-Cold-C… 1 week ago
CategoriesAwards Barbara Ross Beth Kanell Blog Summary Book promotion Carlotta Carlyle Conferences Craft Crime Bake Dogs Edith Maxwell Editing Em Moore Event Recap G.M. Malliet Genre Guppies Hallie Ephron Hank Phillippi Ryan Interview J.P. Choquette Judy Copek Kate Flora Lea Wait Libraries Linda Barnes Lisa Haselton Marketing Maureen Milliken Member News Members Michele Dorsey Mo Walsh Nancy Gardner Not Quite Twenty Questions Of Interest Opinion Pat Remick Pauline Alldred Ray Anderson Readers Rosemary Harris SinCNE Social Media Speakers' Bureau Uncategorized Upcoming Events Writers Writing Writing challenges and contests Writing lessons Writing resources Young Adult