At SincNE we love our libraries and it’s gratifying that our libraries love us back. After all, it’s a match made in writers’ and readers’ heaven.
My love of libraries started early, when my mom would bring my older sister and me to our local library in our stroller. That love got stronger after we moved to Augusta, Maine, when I was 12 and my love of mysteries was nurtured by a librarian who loved them – particularly Dorothy Sayers – as much as I did.
Augusta’s Lithgow Library is still a go-to place for mystery lovers, particularly in October, which for the past several years has been Mystery Month.
The library’s beautiful and historic Reading Room has already hosted Maine mystery writers Kate Flora, Paul Doiron, Vicki Doudera and Beth Freeman this month.
The series winds up 6:30 Thursday with Gerry Boyle, who lives in nearby China, Maine. Boyle’s work includes the long-running Jack McMorrow series and his new Brandon Blake series.
You don’t have to be familiar with Boyle’s books to enjoy Thursday’s event, as any SincNE members who attended his entertaining seminar on writing characters at last year’s Crimebake knows.
One of the great things about Boyle’s books is his command of the Maine setting – and he comes by it honestly. His first career was as a reporter, columnist and editor for the Morning Sentinel newspaper in Waterville, Maine, just up Interstate 95 from Augusta. I’m now news editor for the Sentinel and it’s sister paper, Augusta’s Kennebec Journal, which makes reading Boyle’s books all the more fun for me.
I’m really looking forward to seeing one of my favorite mystery writers in one of my favorite places – hope to see some of you there.
- Congrats to @JulieHennrikus on another new series in the works. wickedcozyauthors.com/2017/02/16/j-a… 6 days ago
- Information on this year's Writer's Police Academy, including a discount for first time SinC attendees. sistersincrime.org/?page=WPA2017 6 days ago
- RT @SINCnational: Members, we are compiling our Authors Coalition surveys, so please fill one out! sistersincrime.org/?page=ACsurvey https://t.co/l7C… 6 days ago
- Sent in your reservation for the 30th anniversary gala workshop and luncheon with author Nancy Martin? sincne.org/rsvp-sisters-c… #SinC30 1 week ago
- @jeseymour Is there a link to a webpage that we could send out for the panel? 1 week ago
- RT @SINCnational: Our response to @nytimes announcement about dropping the mass-market and e-book bestseller lists. Please reconsider! http… 2 weeks ago
- RT @LucyBurdette: Letter to the New York Times: Sisters in Crime say dropping mass market and ebooks damage writers' careers @SinC https://… 2 weeks ago
CategoriesAwards Barbara Ross Beth Kanell Blog Summary Book promotion Carlotta Carlyle Conferences Craft Crime Bake Dogs Edith Maxwell Editing Em Moore Event Recap G.M. Malliet Genre Guppies Hallie Ephron Hank Phillippi Ryan Interview J.P. Choquette Judy Copek Kate Flora Lea Wait Libraries Linda Barnes Lisa Haselton Marketing Maureen Milliken Member News Members Michele Dorsey Mo Walsh Nancy Gardner Not Quite Twenty Questions Of Interest Opinion Pat Remick Pauline Alldred Ray Anderson Readers Rosemary Harris SinCNE Social Media Speakers' Bureau Uncategorized Upcoming Events Writers Writing Writing challenges and contests Writing lessons Writing resources Young Adult