We had a fabulous Beach Reads event in Newburyport two weeks ago. Four authors talked about their own books as well as their recommendations for what to take to the beach this summer. I had fun moderating the panel, and the Book Rack was well organized and stayed open past their usual closing time for us. We auctioned off a beach bag that included not only signed copies of the authors’ books but
also a new beach towel, sunscreen, some lemonade mix, and a paddle game! (Beach bag photo by Jill Pollack.)
Sisters in Crime New England is sponsoring Beach Reads all over the region for the third year in a row. Readers and fans seem to enjoy the event a lot.
- Clea Simon: Cats Can’t Shoot, Poisoned Pen Press and Grey Expectations, Severn House. Her beach reads: Broken Harbor by Tana French and Bitter Harvest by Sheila Connolly.
- Judy Copek: World of Mirrors (June) Wings ePress. Her beach read: Under Oath by Margaret McLean.
- Me (Edith Maxwell), who as Tace Baker will have Speaking of Murder out in September.
- Susan Oleksiw: The Wrath of Shiva from Five Star/Gale/Cenage. Her beach reads: Never Tell a Lie by Hallie Ephron and A Double Death on the Black Isle by A. D. Scott.
- J.R. Reardon: Advice and Consent by Outskirts Press. Her beach read: Clobbered by Camembert by Avery Aames.
Have you made it to one of our Beach Reads events this summer? There’s one coming up in Camden, Maine, on July 31, and another in Mystic, Connecticut, on August 1. See the SINC-NE web site for particulars.
What are you reading this summer? And – I need to know this – do you dare to take your Kindle, Nook, or iPad to the beach? What about getting sand in it?