Edith Maxwell, here. I needed to create a pen name, a pseudonym. I am fortunate enough to suddenly have contracts for two different series. My current Local Foods Mysteries contract stipulates that I can’t publish a different mystery under my real name (or any name resembling it) during the term of the contract. Kensington Publishing doesn’t want the competition, I guess. I agreed to the clause.
- Be short (you hope you are going to have to sign it dozen of times in a row).
- Be toward the front of the alphabet, so it’s shelved at eye level in a bookstore or library. Of course, with ebooks this loses all relevance.
- Have the URL/domain name available.
- Have few or no existing hits in an Internet or Facebook search.
- Be available as a Twitter handle.
- Be a name you aren’t going to mind responding to.
- Sound like the gender in whose voice you wrote the book.
- Preferably have a two-syllable first name and a one-syllable surname.
That’s a lot!